Friday, September 3, 2010

Thank you.

As Sept 12th creeps closer and closer, I cannot help but keep reflecting on a year of self-imposed mental confinement. I exposed myself to mental feats I thought I would never get through. It was just me and my thoughts for hours upon hours of running, biking, and swimming. I know I will cross that finish line on my own, with the sheer mental and physical power of my own mind and body, but I am not crossing that finish line completely alone.

I will have with me the memories of countless friends and family who have provided me support and guidance throughout the year. I know I've stated this multiple times but one can never say thank you enough to people who voluntarily give their time and energy in helping you realize a goal.

So thank you to:

1. My mother. Although I know sometimes it's hard for you to express how proud of me you are, I looked forward to calling you and shocking you with my latest bike and/or run mileage. I don't think you can ever understand why I do this, but part of it is due to the determination you showed me growing up. Love you.
2. My friends. How am I so lucky to have friends who think I'm crazy but yet still accept that I couldn't go out on the weekends or meet up for dinner/coffee because I literally couldn't walk or keep my eyes open.
3. Team Z. Ultimate support system for such a lofty goal. Especially when I don't think I'm capable of finishing. People on the team, both friends and acquaintances, have picked me up countless times, helped me brush myself off, and made me keep moving.
4. Last but not least...my fellow Ironman trainees. You all have shown me the true meaning of determination, strength, courage, and dedication. Thank you for waiting for me as I came in after 9.5 hours on bike rides. Thank you for the pats on the back. Thank you for cheering for me even when you have as much, if not more, to think about than I do. While I will be behind you for most of the day, I look forward to crossing that finish line and congratulating you all!

You all have given me so much strength. And I can only hope to repay a fraction of the kindness you have shown me.

Race day is now 8 days away. I've completed my packing plan, nutrition plan, packing list, to do list, race plan, and finally, post-ironman plan. Bring it on IM Moo. I'm ready. 

Rohini

No comments:

Post a Comment